Focus on Pre-K
Focus on Pre-K: Curriculum for 3-4 years old
Focus on K0/K1 (Pre-K) is our curriculum for three- and four-year-old students. As this is most likely their first foray into school, our units of study are designed as a bridge between home and school.
This curriculum maintains a scoped and sequenced progression of both literacy and math skills in six thematic units. Children learn distinct concepts that are interwoven throughout the curriculum. Teachers make visible these connections and points of intersection.
Assessments and rubric
Pre-K Rubric and Progress Report
- What: Pre-K Rubric to help facilitate child growth through documentation and observation
- Who: recommended for all Pre-K (K0 & K1) students
- When: Fall*, Winter, and Spring. See District Report Card Schedule. Fall is optional.
- Supporting Documents (including translations and Illuminate instructions)
- September 11 - October 19, 2018
- May 6 - June 7, 2019. No need to retest students in the spring if they achieve benchmark in the fall
- October 29 - November 16, 2018
- May 20 - June 14, 2019
- New BPS students: Before October 20, 2018
Launching Focus on Pre-K
Everyone wants a classroom that works together cooperatively, purposefully, and peacefully. Getting there requires time, effort, and intentional teaching. The first three weeks of school is the foundation for a successful year by establishing a positive, supportive learning climate. Young children will have varying levels of experience being in a group. But this will be everyone's first experience of being in your classroom. Teach them every skill they will need to be successful---from sitting in a circle to solving conflicts to washing their hands. It is a wise investment with continuous returns!
This guide is a toolbox of effective practice and practical strategies for the first three weeks of school. Use the tools, not just in the beginning, but throughout the year, to maintain and strengthen the foundation you have built.